“Graduate Studies and Research is a key component that will enhance the prestige and reputation of University of The Bahamas as a world class institution. The Office of Graduate Studies and Research will inculcate a culture of creativity and innovation, leading to the creation and dissemination of new knowledge through transdisciplinary research, consultancy, effective partnerships and hybrid graduate programmes. We will advocate excellence in all areas of scholarship with all stakeholders and make transformative discoveries that will impact the nation and the world”.
- We have facilitated several graduate degree programmes including a MA in Health Administration (Western Connecticut State University), MEd in School Counseling (Kent State University), MA in Teaching & Learning with Technology (Ashford University), MLIS in Library & Information Sciences (University of South Florida), MEd in Special Education (Kent State University), MEd in Educational Administration (Kent State University); and a MSc in Early Childhood & Elementary Teaching (Wheelock College).
- In 2010, we introduced UB’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) followed by the MSc in Reading with Inclusive Education in 2011.
- We are encouraging collaborations within and across disciplines resulting in new and innovative graduate programmes.
- In addition to the MBA (specializing in Leadership and Innovation, Financial Decision Making, and Entrepreneurship) and MSc in Reading with Inclusive Education, pipeline programmes include a Master of Education (MEd) Teacher Leadership (Cognate-Supervision); Master of Science (MSc) Speech Language Pathology; Master of Accounting (MAcc); Master of Economics (MEcon); a Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert); Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip); and Master of Laws (LLM) in Arbitration Law, Wealth Management Law; Maritime Law and Mediation Law.
- Our higher-degree by research will include a Master of Science and Doctoral (PhD) programmes in the applied and social sciences.
- Our new master’s and research-oriented doctoral programmes will afford students substantial mastery of the subject matter, theory, literature and methodology of a significant field of study and will include the sequential development of research skills leading to the attainment of independent research capacity.
- Our graduate students will undertake original research that contributes to new knowledge. In this way, we will continue to build the institution’s research capacity and add to the body of knowledge.
- Our master’s and doctoral level professional or practice-oriented programmes will prepare students for professional practice involving the development of new applications of knowledge within a field of study. This will afford students a broad conceptual mastery of the field of professional practice through an understanding of its subject matter, literature, theory and relevant research methodology. These programmes will provide the sequential development of professional skills that will result in competent practitioners.
This is an exciting time for our institution as we move forward embracing the vision and promoting the values of ‘learning, leadership and service.’
Dr. Vikneswaran Nair, Dean
Graduate Studies and Research
2ndFloor, East Wing, F.R. Wilson Graduate Centre, Oakes Field Campus
Phone: (242) 397-2602