Private donor scholarships and awards are available to UB students through the generosity of individuals, businesses, industries and corporations. These scholarships/awards provide financial assistance to students who have demonstrated academic achievement and/or financial need and are administered through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
The criteria and dollar amount for each scholarship/award varies according to the donation and specifications of the donor. Also, each donor stipulates what the scholarship/award will cover, for example, tuition only or tuition and fees or tuition, fees and books; etc. Students are responsible for paying any portion of their tuition and fees not covered by the scholarship or award.
Types of Scholarships & Awards
Students are encouraged to review the list of private donor scholarships and awards below and to apply for those for which they meet eligibility requirements. Where eligible, students can apply for more than one award. For example, students can apply for a book award in addition to a scholarship that does not include funding for books.
Normally, private donor scholarships/awards fall into one of the following categories:
- Book Awards– allocated on the basis of demonstrated financial need to assist with the cost of books and other educational materials and supplies and with housing-related expenses. Book awards are not intended to assist with the cost of tuition and fees.
- Private Bursary – allocated on the basis of demonstrated financial need.
- Merit-Based Scholarship – awarded on the basis of general academic excellence or excellence in a specific subject or group of subjects.
- Need-Based Scholarship – awarded on the basis of general academic excellence or excellence in a specific subject or group of subjects and on the basis of demonstrated financial need.
- Meet the criteria as specified by UB and the donor;
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate degree programme in good academic standing;
- Submit an application with all of the required documentation by the specified deadline below. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Scholarship and award recipients must:
- Continue to meet the criteria as specified by UB and the donor;
- Maintain the cumulative grade point average (GPA) as specified by the donor;
- Continue to be enrolled full-time in the programme of study for which the scholarship or award was given;
- Register for the minimum number of credit hours each semester as specified by the donor and consult the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships prior to any reduction in their course load to fewer than the requisite number of credit hours;
- Submit a copy of their transcript to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at the end of every semester;
- Consult the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships prior to any change in status, programme, or major; and
- Submit true and accurate information.
- Astarita Nassauvian Art Scholarship – First Friday in February.
- Private donor scholarships and awards for fall semester (August) – First Friday in February.
- Private donor scholarships and awards for spring semester (January) – First Friday in June.
Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Phone: (242) 302-4202 / 4370