Student Accident Insurance Protection Plan
UB provides an automatic accident insurance protection plan with Colina which covers the student 24-hours a day regardless of where he/she may be: on campus, off campus, vacationing, or working. With the exception of accidents that occur in the practice or play of American football, all accidents are covered no matter how they are sustained. Injuries sustained at work are covered by the National Insurance Board; as a result, benefits will not be paid until National Insurance payments have been exhausted.
How the Plan Works
Coverage begins on the inception date of the policy. The plan reimburses students for medical expenses up to $5,000.00 per annum and pays the necessary costs of:
- Medical treatment;
- Services of a licensed nurse for treatment commencing within 60 days of an accident and incurred within one year of the first course of treatment. There is NO DEDUCTIBLE on claims involving injuries which require hospital confinement. For all other claims, there is a $20.00 deductible per claim.
Not covered under the plan are:
- The cost of medical or surgical treatment or dental care or nursing services performed by any person employed by UB.
- Expenses incurred for eyeglasses or prescriptions for eyeglasses.
- Any loss caused by: (a) hernia of any kind; (b) bacterial infections, except pyogenic infections which occur with and through an accidental wound; (c) any form of disease; (d) suicide or any attempted suicide while sane; (e) act of war.
Dental coverage is confined to accidental injury of natural teeth and limited to $500.00 per annum, less the $20.00 deductible, of expenses incurred within one year of the date of the accident. Dental X-rays are covered up to $100.00 per annum.
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit
Should injuries which occur within one year of the date of the accident result in death, dismemberment or loss of sight, the following benefits will be paid.
- Life – $3,000.00.
- Both hands, feet or eyes or combination thereof – $8,000.00.
- Either hand or foot or sight of one eye – $4,000.00.
- Thumb & index finger of either hand – $2,000.00.
Cost of the Plan
$25.00 per annum.
Submission of Claims
All claims must be submitted within 90 days of the accident to J.S. Johnson & Co, Ltd.
Student Accident Insurance Protection Plan Waiver
Students who are covered under a private medical insurance plan may decline coverage under this plan by signing, or having their parent/legal guardian sign, the Student Accident Insurance Waiver Form. This form must be submitted to the Health Centre/Campus Nurse at either the Oakes Field or University of The Bahamas-North by the last Friday in August and must be accompanied by proof of the private medical insurance coverage.