Academic Senate Communique
August 1, 2018
Dear Members of the University Community:
Please allow me to take but a moment to be among the first to welcome you to the University or to welcome you as we begin the new academic year 2018-2019.
Over the past year, the University has continued its transformation in accordance with the University of The Bahamas Act 2016. A major component within our transformation is the establishment of the “Academic Senate”.
According to the UB Act 2016, Article 7 – ACADEMIC SENATE: “There shall be an Academic Senate of the University (hereinafter referred to as the “Senate”) comprising officers elected from staff, faculty, students and administration in accordance with Statute X of the Second Schedule, which shall, subject to the powers of the Board, be the academic authority of the University and have responsibility for maintaining the academic standards of the University and for the regulation and superintendence of the education of the students of the University as may be prescribed in the Statutes.”
In accordance with UB Act 2016, the following persons have been elected and/or appointed to serve as members of the Academic Senate:
- Mr. Eardley Grant, Assistant Professor, Business & Hospitality Management
- Ms. Bernadette Robins, Assistant Professor, Business & Hospitality Management
- Mrs. Bridgette Rolle-Hogg, Professor, Chemistry, Environmental & Life Sciences
- Mrs. Joyanne Thompson, Assistant Professor, Chemistry, Environmental & Life Sciences
- Mr. Philip Armbrister, Assistant Professor, Mathematics, Physics & Technology
- Mr. Claude McNamarah, Assistant Professor, Mathematics, Physics & Technology
- Mr. Devain Maycock, Instructor, Culinary Arts & Tourism Studies
- Mrs. Christina Moseley-Rolle, Assistant Professor, Culinary Arts & Tourism Studies
- Ms. Christine Kozikowski, Assistant Professor, English Studies
- Mrs. Krista Walkes, Assistant Professor, English Studies
- Dr. Edward Bethel, Director, CeLEARN
- Dr. Lorraine Bastian-Jones, Director, CeLEARN
- Dr. Ava Thompson, Associate Professor, Social Sciences
- Ms. Jessica Minnis, Professor, Social Sciences
- Mr. Terry Campbell, Assistant Professor, Nursing & Allied Health Professions
- Dr. Ingrid Mobley, Assistant Professor, Nursing & Allied Health Professions
- Dr. Faith Butler, Associate Professor, Education
- Dr. Andre Neely, Assistant Professor, Education
- Ms. Catherine Archer, Librarian, University Libraries
- Dr. June Wilson, Professor, Business & Hospitality Management
- Mrs. Lottis Shearer-Knowles, Associate Professor, Communication & Creative Arts
- Mr. Deon Stewart, Adjunct Faculty, Chemistry, Environmental & Life Sciences
- Mr. Keith Thompson, Adjunct Faculty, Business & Hospitality Management
- Dr. Kelly Duncanson, Assistant Professor, UB-North
- Mrs. Wilolla Carroll, Administrative Assistant, UB-North
- Ms. Mosetta Ferguson, Administrative Assistant, Academic Affairs
- Mrs. Denece Mackey, Executive Assistant to the Provost, Office of The Provost
- Mr. William Fielding, Director, Institutional Strengthening
- Ms. Natasha Gibson, Public Relations Assistant, Office of University Relations
- Mr. Ryan Rolle, Student
- Mr. Jeron Johnson, Student
- Mr. Mackerson Charles, Student
- Ms. Felicity Gibson, Student (UB-North)
- Dr. Maria Oriakhi, AVP Academic Affairs
- Dr. Carlton Watson, Dean Pure and Applied Sciences
- Mrs. Remelda Moxey, Dean Business, Hospitality and Tourism Studies
- Dr. Vik Nair, Dean Graduate Studies and Research
- Dr. Ruth Sumner, Dean Social & Educational Studies
- Dr. Peter McWilliam, Dean of Faculty (UB-North)
- Dr. Berthamae Walker, University Librarian
- Dr. Linda Davis, Provost
President and CEO, Dr Rodney D. Smith, will serve in an Ex-Officio capacity.
Please accept my most heartfelt congratulations. Yours is an awesome role within the University. You will have significant responsibility for the direction of the University through your many deliberations.
In accordance with University of The Bahamas Act (ARTICLE 7), the Academic Senate must
- establish its own governing bye-laws;
- establish standing committees of the Senate, chaired by a member of the Senate, with representation from staff, students, faculty and administration; and
- delegate to any standing committee consisting of members of the Senate, such powers, duties or functions assigned to it under the Act.
In order to effect a smooth transition, I have asked the University Secretary to call the first meeting so that you may elect the Academic Senate Chair and Academic Senate Secretary. I recommend that the Chair and Secretary, acting on behalf of the Academic Senate, consult with the outgoing Transition Academic Senate, regarding pressing academic matters and appointment of a Senate Bye-Laws Committee.
It is anticipated that the schedule of meetings will be set thereafter, or as soon as the Academic Senate is fully functional; expectedly, on or before 1st October, 2018.
Meanwhile, any urgent academic matters should be handled by the Academic Senate Chair and Secretary in consultation with the Transition Academic Senate.
Rodney D. Smith, Ed.D.
Office of University Relations
University of The Bahamas
1st Floor, Michael H. Eldon Complex
University Drive, Oakes Field Campus
P.O. Box N-4912
Nassau, The Bahamas
Tel: (242) 302-4355/4354/4366