UB’s President’s Scholars Programme (PSP) is a unique four-year scholarship and personal development programme. Available to a select group of outstanding students, the programme fosters intellectual growth, refines leadership skills and enhances the relationship with UB. Scholars are united in their commitment to the pursuit of excellence and service before self and are encouraged to work and learn together. As the name suggests, President’s Scholars have the benefit of the UB President as their patron and model.
How to Become a President’s Scholar
Bahamian high school seniors with a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.50 who display outstanding leadership capability and potential should apply to become a President’s Scholar. Applications are due by midnight on November 28th each year. Applications are reviewed by a selection committee which examines academic qualifications, evidence of leadership skills and extra-curricular involvement as well as recommendations from high school teachers/guidance counsellors or principals. Selected applicants are invited to campus for an interview after which recommendations are forwarded to the President for final approval.
- President’s Scholars are awarded a full academic scholarship and, where applicable, scholars also receive assistance with room and board. The scholarship is renewable annually for up to 4 years as long as scholars maintain high academic standards while exercising practical leadership in UB activities and the wider community. Specifically, scholars:
- Receive an academic scholarship of $24,000 payable in disbursements of $3,000 per semester to cover tuition and related UB expenses.
- Are mentored by the President of the University of The Bahamas.
- Are supported by the Department of Student Counselling to maintain a healthy lifestyle and utilise effective strategies to manage stress and interpersonal relationships.
- Participate in a comprehensive leadership development programme.
- Are able to study abroad in a foreign country.
- Scholars are required to:
- attend a leadership retreat before the start of each fall semester,
- attend leadership workshops and seminars,
- participate in service learning activities,
- join at least one campus organization,
- assist with UB’s programmes and activities,
- participate in UB recruitment exercises,
- be ambassadors of the University,
- be mentored by Student Leadership personnel,
- complete a one hour leadership training session each week; and
- complete a leadership report at the end of every semester.
To remain eligible for the award, scholars must:
- maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50 every semester;
- enrol in a minimum of 15 credit hours per semester;
- complete 30 hours of community service per semester; and
- participate in a comprehensive leadership development programme.
Contact Joe Stubbs
Director of Student Leadership